ORANJESTAD, Aruba — The WEB RECIP-3 Expansion has officially entered operation, adding 36 megawatts of firm generating capacity to Aruba’s electricity system.
WEB Aruba formally completed the project on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, when two new RECIP engines and their generators were commissioned during a ceremony at the utility.
The project represents an investment of approximately Afl. 115 million and increases WEB’s Wärtsilä-based RECIP generating capacity from 194 MW to 230 MW.
Two New Engines Officially Enter Operation
Wärtsilä Finland Oy supplied the two generating units as part of an engineering, procurement and construction expansion of the existing RECIP-3 plant.
WEB CEO Alfredo Koolman and CTO Alfredo Ruiz joined Energy Minister Arthur Dowers and Wärtsilä representative Matthew DeHaven in officially starting the new units.
Wärtsilä previously identified the equipment as two 50DF dual-fuel engines with supporting systems, together providing an additional 36 MW of generation.
The agreement for the expansion was signed in late 2024, with the project originally expected to become fully operational around the middle of 2026.
Additional Capacity Strengthens Electricity Reliability
WEB says the additional firm capacity is intended to improve the reliability of Aruba’s electricity supply while providing sufficient generation to respond to continuing growth in demand.
When the project was announced, WEB identified rising temperatures, tourism growth, new hotel development and residential construction as factors contributing to increased electricity consumption.
Koolman said the additional capacity creates a stronger foundation for maintaining supply while Aruba continues developing its energy system.
The expansion does not mean all 230 MW will be generated continuously. Installed capacity represents the maximum generating capability of the RECIP installations, while actual production depends on demand, maintenance requirements and the contribution of other energy sources.
Mobile Plant Can Now Be Replaced
Completion of RECIP-3 will also allow WEB to replace the temporary mobile power plant introduced in August 2024.
That approximately 20 MW installation was brought into service as a short-term measure to strengthen electricity supply while demand increased and permanent generation projects were being developed.
The RECIP-3 expansion was designed as the longer-term solution.
WEB had previously stated that adding two permanent engines was necessary to address medium-term electricity demand while strengthening the system ahead of additional renewable-energy projects.
Firm Generation Supports More Renewable Energy
WEB says conventional firm generating capacity remains important as Aruba increases the contribution of wind and solar energy.
Electricity production from renewable sources can change with weather conditions. Flexible engines can respond when wind or solar output falls, helping maintain balance between electricity production and consumption.
Wärtsilä said the fast-starting capability of its engines is particularly useful for balancing fluctuations associated with renewable generation.
Koolman said the additional capacity therefore serves two purposes: improving present-day reliability while preparing the system for greater integration of renewable energy.
Wind, Solar and Battery Projects Remain Planned
WEB continues preparing projects involving wind energy, solar generation and battery storage.
Battery systems can store electricity when production exceeds immediate demand and release it later when the grid requires additional power.
Combined with flexible conventional generation, this approach can allow a larger share of intermittent renewable energy to be incorporated without compromising system stability.
The latest commissioning does not itself increase Aruba’s renewable-energy percentage. Instead, WEB describes the RECIP expansion as infrastructure that can support the transition toward a more diversified energy mix.
Project Overcame Technical and Logistical Challenges
Koolman thanked WEB employees, contractors, consultants and Wärtsilä personnel involved in completing the expansion.
The project reportedly faced challenges involving logistics, technical integration and the availability of specialised personnel during construction.
Space was also limited at the existing facility. Wärtsilä said the project required existing radiator fields and auxiliary equipment to be relocated to accommodate the two additional engines.
Despite those challenges, the units have now been formally handed over and commissioned.
Completion Marked With Community Donations
WEB, Wärtsilä and UTLT General Contractor also marked completion of the project with contributions to two Aruban organisations.
Aruba Sport Unie received Afl. 12,500 toward the purchase of a scrubber dryer for maintenance at Centro Deportivo Betico Croes.
Fundacion Ultimo Deseo Aruba also received Afl. 12,500 toward an ambulance used to transport people who are terminally ill or bedridden.
The donations were presented as a gesture of appreciation and community support connected to the successful completion of the project.
Expansion Marks New Stage for Aruba’s Energy System
With the WEB RECIP-3 Expansion operational, Wärtsilä-based generating capacity has risen from 194 MW to 230 MW.
Wärtsilä says this represents approximately 85% of Aruba’s total installed generating capacity of 268 MW.
WEB says the additional 36 MW will strengthen reliability, replace temporary generating capacity and help prepare Aruba for greater use of wind, solar and battery-storage technologies.
The completion therefore marks both an immediate increase in dependable electricity production and another infrastructure step in Aruba’s longer-term energy transition.



















